Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Homemade Lip Balm

Dude, I seriously  just made homemade lip balm... I actually thought I would screw it up so I didnt take pictures throughout the process. Its actually AWESOME!

I slightly tweaked the recipe from here: tidytipsy

Crap I used

What I used: (updated after trial and error, this recipe is a huge hit - makes approx 25)
2 tbsp Beeswax (I kind of heaped them a little since they were the pellets)
2.5 tbsp Coconut Oil
1.5 tbsp Shea Butter
4 tbsp Olive Oil
6 capsules Vitamin E
Something to put the lip balm in (I got mine from Amazon)
(ETA: if you would like to add essential oils, use a LOT - think at least 2 drops per tube, this updated recipe makes about 25 tubes, so 50 drops of oil, go by smell, you want to smell the oil more than the beeswax)

I used my warming base from my crock pot (you could use a double boiler - or whatever you damn well please) put all the crap in there except the Vit E and let it warm (I put it on high) until it is all melty - I mixed it with a spatula to help it.
I used a glass container that I had from a beverage company that makes too much money.
After its all melted I cut a tiny hole in the capsules and squeezed the goo out.
Mix again.
Messily pour into little containers - I had too much made so I ended up looking around my house for something to put it in and used a mint container.

Messy

I used a couple napkins to clean up my mess (I also scraped up the crap on the counter and put it back in the melty container - dont worry, my counters were clean)

Lip Balm!

I freakin love it, I've had it on for like an hour and am so happy.
I didnt add any scents - which you could, but I dont mind it kind of smelling like beeswax.

No comments:

Post a Comment